Sunday, July 13, 2008

Pictures!

My plan is to try to post pictures here following Kyler pregnancy so that everyone can see how things are progressing. She is getting bigger by the day. She has 3 1/2 weeks to go and her belly is starting to get in the way, especially after a meal. When she sits after eating her knees stick out because her belly pushes them out.















This picture is from about a week ago, for those that don't know her she may not look all that different, but for those who do, you can see her waist has grown considerably. It was a hot day and she was not comfortable, these were the best pictures I could get of her that day.


These next pictures are from Friday, so she had 3 1/2 weeks to go (that is when the most growth takes place)










We have raspberry bushes in our yard in several places. One of the bushes is on the edge of the dogs yard, both dogs enjoy picking their berries when they would like a little snack. We then spent Sunday morning outside enjoying the nice weather. (we had spent all of Saturday painting the house) Cedar loves to pop bubbles so I did my best to snap him biting them.


Then, finally, I have received requests from several friends for a picture of one of our chickens, known as "miracle chicken". Our chickens don't really have names, but this one is special. Miracle chicken has survived several attacks by various creatures. She first became known by that name after being attacked in the middle of the night by what I assume is a weasel. Two of her coop-mates were killed and she was badly injured. We almost put her out of her misery, and then at the last minute I decided to try and save her. I figured either she would live or die, I could at least give it a try. After 2 months of intense care, she pulled through. (yes, perhaps it was a bit crazy for a chicken, but after I started I couldn't stop since she was still alive) She required tube feeding because her head was so swollen she couldn't see to eat, plus her beak was in bad shape, it was cracked all along the bottom. Her beak fell off (she now has what looks like lips) and she is blind in one eye, but other than that she is fine. She looks a bit funny, ut she has become a pet chicken. She follows me everywhere, including to the mailbox, I have to sneak out of the house otherwise she comes with me everywhere in the yard. She has since survived 2 attacks, one by a dog, and another by a fox when I forgot to close the coop at night. The fox actually pinned her down and pulled all the feathers off the back of her neck, leaving a little nick. We got outside just in time to keep her from being carried away. We heard the commotion and ran outside. Phew, close call. The chickens now have a new coop with a fenced in area so I don't have to worry about forgetting to shut it at night anymore!

So, here she is, "Miracle Chicken".

3 comments:

Andrew Campbell said...

MPP: what happened to our svelte little hunting machine? those should be fantastic pups... and busy times at ForestKing for the next 2.5months.

That's a great pic of Cedar chasing bubbles with the Bean. And Miracle Chicken... if my boys ever hassle the MC, they'll get a box upside the head.

best
A+M+M+J

Delilah and Rocket said...

Kyler has that special "glow" about her.

Mom had a pet chicken when she lived on a farm in Indiana. They do grow on you I guess

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Lovely, lovely dogs! We look forward to seeing those puppies!